Been off Work

Sick Notes for Employees for Coronavirus

Click here for information

Self Certification

Click here for information

Been off work & Sickness Certificates

You do not require a doctor’s sickness certificate for any illness lasting seven days or less. Your employer may however require you to complete a self-certification form (SC2) which is available from your employer or the HMRC website.

Evidence that you have been sick

If you have been sick for more than 7 days your employer can ask you to give them some form of medical evidence to support payment of SSP (Statutory Sick Pay).

It is up to your employer to decide whether you are incapable of work. A certificate called A Statement of Fitness for Work from your doctor is strong evidence that you are indeed sick and this would normally be accepted, unless there is evidence to prove otherwise.

You could also provide evidence from someone who is not a doctor such as a dentist. Your employer will decide whether or not this evidence is acceptable and if your employer has any doubts they may still ask for a Statement of Fitness for Work from your doctor.

For more information see the directgov website for more details.